Applicants must meet the following requirements for entrance into this internship:
- A minimum of a Baccalaureate degree and completion of a Didactic Program in Dietetics (DPD) prior to the start date of the internship.
- A signed “Verification Statement” or “Declaration of Intent” to complete the degree.
Admissions will also be based upon the application submitted through DICAS, personal statement, transcripts/grades, letters of recommendation, and work/volunteer experience.
All applicants meeting the academic requirements and technical standards shall be considered equally for admission to the program, regardless of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, national or ethnic origin, age, military
service, disability, or handicaps.
How to apply
Prospective students wanting to apply to the program should complete the following steps:
- This program uses the online Dietetic Internship Centralized Application System (DICAS), which can be found at the
DICAS portal (https://portal.dicas.org/). The fee to use DICAS is $40 for the first application and $20 for each additional application. DICAS requires the following components:
- Supervised Practice Program Application
- Personal Statement: The personal statement should be submitted through DICAS. The personal statement should tell us about the person, not just list courses or accomplishments that we can find elsewhere in the application. It is a time to tell us why you think our program is a good match for
your goals as well as a time to address any “hiccups” in the application.
- Recommendations: Three letters of recommendation are required. We do not specify who these letters need to come from, but should best illustrate your capabilities as a future dietetic intern. When completing the application form, applicants must include the name and contact information (specifically an
e-mail address) for each reference. This will trigger an e-mail message requesting completion of a reference form. The form will be completed online.
- Transcripts: Official transcripts from all colleges and universities attended should be sent to: DICAS Transcript Dept. PO Box 9118, Watertown, MA 02472
- Declaration of Intent form or Verification Statement: Obtain this document from your Didactic Program Director. Applicants who submit a Declaration of Intent form and are accepted will be required to submit a Verification Statement before the internship program
- Applicants must also register online for computer matching at
www.dnddigital.com and select dietetic internship priority choices by the set due date. There is a $50 computer matching fee. (See Computer Matching information below.)
- The UK Hospital Internship application fee is $40 and should be post-marked by the DICAS application deadline. This is separate from the DICAS fee mentioned above. A check made payable to UK Nutrition Department for $40 should be sent to:
Whitney Sanders, MHA, RD, LD
Manager, Nutrition Service
Director, Dietetic Internship
University of Kentucky Hospital
800 Rose St., HP 507
Lexington KY 40536-0293
- Interviews will be conducted for top applicants via Skype between the February application deadline and the April Appointment Day.
All applicants to Dietetic Internships (DI) must participate in the D & D Digital computer matching process. Computer matching enables a student to be assigned to a requested internship program that has also expressed interest in the student. Applicants must register
and prioritize their DI preferences online at
http://dnddigital.com by February 15. There is a $50 computer matching fee. For additional computer matching information, contact:
D&D Digital Systems
304 Main St., Suite 301
Ames IA 50010
D&D will notify each student applicant about the dietetic internship program to which he or she has been “matched.” The student must notify the Program Director via phone, email, or fax by 5:00pm on Appointment Day to confirm acceptance of the internship assignment.
Policy regarding background checks and drug screens
Applicants accepted to the program will be required to undergo a background check and drug screen prior to starting the program. Please consider your own circumstances before applying to the program.