Research Ethics Lecture Series – Archive
2013-14: Spring 2014 | Fall 2013
2012-13: Spring 2013 | Fall 2012
2011-12: Spring 2012
Spring 2014 (top)
- Feb. 26: "Ethical Issues in Addiction Research" by Rebecca B. Yarrison, PhD, Assistant Professor, UK Program for Bioethics, Departments of Internal Medicine, Pediatrics and College of Nursing
- April 2: "When Research Subjects Die: The Markingson Case and the CAFE Study" by Carl Elliott, MD, PhD, Professor, Center for Bioethics, Department of Pediatrics, University of Minnesota Medical School, Professor, Department of Philosophy, College of Liberal Arts
Fall 2013 (top)
- Sept. 25: “Controversies and Quagmires in International HIV/AIDS Research” by Alex John London, PhD, Professor of Philosophy and Director, The Center for Ethics and Policy, Carnegie Mellon University.
- Nov. 20: “Infants and Children as Human Subjects: New and Old Ethical Challenges” by Randi Zlotnick-Shaul, JD, LLM, PhD, Associate Professor and Director of Bioethics at The Hospital for Sick Children in Toronto and the University of Toronto.
Spring 2013 (top)
- Feb. 27: “What Is a 'Benchside Ethics' Consultation – and When Do I Need One?” by M. Sara Rosenthal, PhD, Associate Professor, UK Departments of Internal Medicine, Pediatrics and Behavioral Science, and Director, Program for Bioethics.
- March 26: “Current Challenges in Research Ethics: Amendments to the HIPAA Privacy Rule, Deidentification, Biobanking and More!” by Mark A. Rothstein, JD, Herbert F. Boehl Chair of Law and Medicine, Director of the Institute for Bioethics, Health Policy and Law, and Professor, Department of Medicine, University of Louisville School of Medicine.
- April 17: “Ethical Fallout and Consequences of Scientific Misbehavior and Misconduct” by Isabel Mellon, PhD, Associate Professor, UK Graduate Center for Toxicology.
Fall 2012 (top)
- Sept. 12: “Cellular Imposters: Cell Line Cross-Contamination and Research Ethics” by Kenneth B. Ain, MD, Professor of Medicine, Carmen L. Buck Chair of Oncology Research, and Director, Thyroid Oncology Program, UK Division of Endocrinology & Molecular Medicine, and Director, Thyroid Cancer Research Laboratory, Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Lexington, Ky.
- Oct. 10: “Neuroscience and Other Sociopolitical Schemes” by Jeffrey P. Bishop, MD, PhD, Director and Tenet Chair of Health Care Ethics, Albert Gnaegi Center for Health Care Ethics, Saint Louis University.
- Nov. 14: “Chimpanzees in Biomedical and Behavioral Research: Limits and Protections” by Jeffrey Kahn, PhD, MPH, Robert Henry Levi and Ryda Hecht Levi Professor of Bioethics and Public Policy, Berman Institute of Bioethics, Johns Hopkins University.
Spring 2012 (top)
- April 18 – Inaugural Lecture: “The Avian Flu Controversy: Ethical, Scientific and Policy Implications” by Eric M. Meslin, PhD, Director, Indiana University Center for Bioethics, and Professor of Medicine, Medical and Molecular Genetics, Public Health and Philosophy.