- Gastrointestinal and Colorectal Cancer Team
- Melanoma and Sarcoma (Skin Cancer) Team
Assistant Professor of Medicine
- Anal Cancer
- Colorectal Cancer
- Gastric Cancers
- Hepatobiliary Cancers
- Neuroendocrine Tumors
- Pancreatic Cancer
University of the West Indies, Trinidad, West Indies
University of Miami, Miller School of Medicine, Miami, Fla.
Hematology/Oncology, University of Miami, Miller School of Medicine, Miami, Fla.
Certifications or Special training
American Board of Internal Medicine
American Board of Internal Medicine, Hematology
American Board of Internal Medicine, Medical Oncology
My name is Peter Hosein; I am board certified by the American Board of Internal Medicine in Internal Medicine, Hematology and Medical Oncology. I obtained my medical degree from the University of the West Indies in Trinidad and Tobago. I did my residency in Internal Medicine and fellowship in Hematology/Oncology at the University of Miami/Jackson Memorial Hospital in Miami, Fla. I was formerly a faculty member at the University of Miami/Sylvester Comprehensive Cancer Center prior to coming to the University of Kentucky. My office is located at the Markey Cancer Center where I am a specialist in gastrointestinal cancers and sarcomas. I have conducted and participated in multiple phase I, II and III clinical trials in hematological cancers as well as gastrointestinal cancers.
My main research interest is in pancreatic cancer where I am studying new treatments for patients who are not surgical candidates. I am also conducting research in hepatocellular cancer (primary liver cancer) and gastroesophageal cancers.
- Berera S, Koru-Sengul T, Miao F, Carrasquillo O, Nadji M, Zhang Y, Hosein PJ, McCauley JL, Abreu MT, Sussman DA.
Colorectal Tumors From Different Racial and Ethnic Minorities Have Similar Rates of Mismatch Repair Deficiency.
Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2016 Aug;14(8):1163-71.
- Suker M, Beumer BR, Sadot E, Marthey L, Faris JE, Mellon EA, El-Rayes BF, Wang-Gillam A, Lacy J, Hosein PJ, Moorcraft SY, Conroy T, Hohla F, Allen P, Taieb J, Hong TS, Shridhar R, Chau I, van Eijck CH, Groot Koerkamp B.
FOLFIRINOX for locally advanced pancreatic cancer: a systematic review and patient-level meta-analysis.
Lancet Oncol. 2016 Jun;17(6):801-10.
- Saeed H, Hnoosh D, Huang B, Durbin EB, McGrath PC, Desimone P, Maynard E, Anthony LB, Dineen SP, Hosein PJ, Tzeng CD.
Defining the optimal timing of adjuvant therapy for resected pancreatic adenocarcinoma: A statewide cancer registry analysis.
J Surg Oncol. 2016 May 30.
- Vilchez V, Turcios L, Zaytseva Y, Stewart R, Lee EY, Maynard E, Shah MB, Daily MF, Tzeng CD, Davenport D, Castellanos AL, Krohmer S, Hosein PJ, Evers BM, Gedaly R.
Cancer stem cell marker expression alone and in combination with microvascular invasion predicts poor prognosis in patients undergoing transplantation for hepatocellular carcinoma.
Am J Surg. 2016 Feb 27.
- Vilchez V, Shah MB, Daily MF, Pena L, Tzeng CW, Davenport D, Hosein PJ, Gedaly R, Maynard E.
Long-term outcome of patients undergoing liver transplantation for mixed hepatocellular carcinoma and cholangiocarcinoma: an analysis of the UNOS database.
HPB (Oxford). 2016 Jan;18(1):29-34.