Why consider Gamma Knife radiosurgery?
- Several hundred-thousand patients have undergone the procedure worldwide.
- Gamma Knife is very safe - no Gamma Knife site in the world has experienced a fatality.
- Gamma Knife surgery is 1/3 the total cost of traditional neurosurgery.
- The success of Gamma Knife has been well documented in medical literature and is recognized around the world as a standard of treatment.
- Because no incision is made, there is a low risk of infection or hemorrhage.
- Complications from general anesthesia are avoided since it is usually not required.
- High accuracy of the gamma rays limits radiation exposure to surrounding tissues.
- Very short hospitalization, usually within one day.
- Patients can resume their previous activities the next day.
- Patients experience little discomfort during the procedure or during recovery.
- Patients who previously needed or were untreatable with open skull surgery now have a relatively simple and painless procedure available to them.
- Gamma Knife surgery is covered by most insurance plans.
Page last updated: 2/17/2011 2:47:31 PM